28mm Laser-Cut Storefronts

Today’s post is a bit picture heavy and covers my experience assembling the four pack of shops and storefronts from Demo’s Laser Cut Designs.  This is another of a series of fine laser-cut wood terrain pieces from this company.  As with the previous kits, this one was fun and easy to assemble.  From beginning to end the assembly of all four buildings took about two hours, and that includes the time it took for me to take pictures of each step of the process.  I will start with a quick picture of all the components from this set.

I decided to start with the roof first.  Each roof is the same and is made up of five pieces, so the following pictures apply to all four.  As with the previous model, I used standard PVA (white) glue to assemble the various pieces.  Here is a layout of the roof components.

Starting with the flat base I glued the sides on, starting with the longest edges first.  Front side…

then back side.

I then glued the two short edges in place.  Right side…

then left side.

It was that simple.  Using PVA made this process easy as the glue is tacky enough to hold everything in place, but still takes some time to set completely.  This gives you enough time to adjust everything just the way you want.  Of course there really wasn’t much adjustment needed.  As with the other DLCD buildings I purchased, the tolerances were very tight and everything fit together the first time without any fiddling on my part.  Once I had the four sides in place I flipped the roof over to let it dry, and then continued the process on the other three.

After a few minutes work I had all four complete.

The next step included adding optional awnings.  I decided I didn’t want to use these for my buildings so I will only include a picture of the components.  The good news is I can add them at a later date if I change my mind, and the changes needed to add them would be minimal.

Next up are the window frames.  These appear to be stiff cardboard and were easily separated with a few simple cuts using a hobby knife.  Per the instructions, I set aside the interior segments as these are used later in the project.

Once the window frames were cut out I lined them up with the appropriate storefront.  Again, white glue was my friend here.  It took a little fiddling to line the frames up with the windows but this was easy as the white glue is nice and sticky but takes a while to set, allowing plenty of time for adjusting.  The second picture below shows the window frames in place, even if it is a bit difficult to tell.

After I finished that part, I decided to glue the doors into the door frames.  I thought about pining the doors and using magnets so they could be open or closed, but I quickly realized this would require a bit more work.  The doors appear to be beveled, and slope inward.  I actually used a pin vice to drill through the wood and add a hinge to one of the doors.  Unfortunately I glued the pins in place before I noticed the bevel.  Oops.  The end result is the door only opened part way in one direction.  This could be solved by shaving the edges off the inside edge of the door hinges, but I figured it wasn’t worth it to me to go through the process.  The doors look just fine glued together as they are below.

Once set, I glued the doors to the store’s entrances and exits.  Just like with the window frames white glue helps with getting everything lined up nicely.

Rinse and repeat for the exits…

Several minutes and a few gulps of coffee later, the glue was dry.  So I took a few minutes to decide which entrances and exits I wanted to combine into finished stores.  Below is a typical layout of the four walls used to finish the store front.

Since I have a nice cutting mat with 1″ squares, I used that to help me square up the walls.  I started by adding the two side walls.  First on the right side…

then the left.

Then I was able to square up the building with the back wall.

And that’s it.  Repeat the process with the next three buildings and I was done in no time.  After that the roof fit nicely on top.

Here is a back and side view of two exits.

The only part remaining was the signage.  The instructions call for the use of the window frame interiors from earlier in the process, but I decided to use so wood blocks I had left over from a previous project.  In the picture below you can see the sign posts and window frame interiors on the right.  The larger wood pieces I found at Michaels Crafts.

And here you can see the finished signs with my brave vault dweller for scale.

Finally I have included a picture of two store fronts with the modular office building for comparison.

I hope you found this useful.  Cheers.

Advertisements

~ by Captain Apathy on February 3, 2012.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: